Sunday, April 30, 2006

Rip, curl, snooze...

I had every intention of going surfing on Friday. Every intention. But, let me tell you a little story about mind over matter. It doesn't always work...

To make a short story long:

Woke up leisurely on Friday, ate my breakfast--more toast, read The Economist for a bit (not necessarily with the intention of trying to look smart in front of all the cute single male backpackers in the breakfast room, but maybe just a little--however, I think it has the opposite effect). Then, decided to walk down to Circular Quay to catch the Manly Ferry to the beach. Took my time walking. Decided to check out Mooks, one of the coolest stores in Australia, which is located in the Galerie Victoria, next to the amazing architectural wonder, the Queen Victoria Building which is also a shopping center. However, I had already checked out the QVB and decided it was way out of my price league. Anyway, went to Mooks and talked myself out of buying a cute little sweatsuit and handbag. Kept on walking down toward the Quay. Stopped by the Parliament Building and had a little tour after stripping down to my knickers (well, almost) to get through security. Actually, I'm exaggerating. The security was nothing like it would be back home. Walked around, waved at all the men in wigs, nearly walked into an official government meeting, and trotted out back to the street.

I made it down to the wharf about 15 minutes before the next ferry. Plenty of time, no more Forrest Gump. Plopped down to listen to my favorite Aboriginal peoples playing their digeridoos until about 11:20 a.m. when I headed back toward the wharf. Uh-oh. Now the schedule has been changed. No ferry until 12 p.m.!!!! UGH!!! Apparently there was some accident with the 11:30 and it had run into the wharf or something. I don't know. Didn't see any damage myself, but you know, me and ships are kind of like me and cars, although I'm probably better with ships 'cuz they at least they can float along if they break down, right? Anyway, they announced that there would be a bus leaving instead for those who didn't want to wait until 12. Decided I'd go catch the bus, but it didn't arrive until 11:50 and then waited around until 12. Nice one.

Got to Manly about 12:30 and started heading down the Corsco toward the beach when I suddenly felt the need to pass out. From exhaustion, I think. Hm. If I can't even stand up walking then how will I be able to stand up on a surfboard? I darted (well, wobbled) into the local juice bar and bought myself an acai recovery smoothy with an energy shooter (all herbs and fruits, people). Sucked 'em down and went on my merry way to the beach. 'Soon as I got there my mind went, "OOooooooo!! Surfing!" and my body went, "OOOooooo, sand!!!" My body won and I plopped down on the sand where I stayed and slept for a good two or three hours. I saw many surfers out of the corner of my eye, watched a couple of surfing students come and go (picked up some pointers from my right ear--the one not immersed in sand). Finally I woke up, went and bought some food, and came back to the sand where I attached myself like I mussel for another good while. At about 4:30 I made my way groggily toward the cinema. "Oh, look!" says my mind to my body, "There's a 4:45 showing of TransAmerica!" Body says, "Fine. Can we get a gelato first?" SO, me, myself, and my American Chocolate Gelato went to the movie. It was a good one. Felicity Huffman (sp?) was brilliant, although I wonder why they didn't get a transexual or transgendered person to play the part... Same reason they don't hire gay actors (or so they think) to play gay characters? Because it wouldn't be "acting"? Oh, is that why they don't hire heterosexual actors to play hetero characters? Sorry. Soapbox.

Anyway, that was Friday.

Saturday: (My LAST DAY in Sydney!)

Woke up early this time. Still ate my toast in a leisurely fashion and still read my Economist, trying to pick up some cute backpacker. Think it worked although I haven't yet figured out to do once I make mutual eye contact. Okay, I'm thirty going on thirteen. I guess "coyly" burying my face back in the magazine is not sending a friendly message. Anyway, people tell me my coy face looks more like, 'What the *&*@# do you want?" Yeah, gotta work on that one. Whatever.

Then, I walked on over to Paddington Market where I planned to spend two hours and instead spent nearly four, agonizing over all the beautiful things that I wanted to buy, yet feeling it would be highly inappropriate to do so. This particular market was much nicer than the one I had walked through at The Rocks on Sunday. Much less touristy, and everything is hand made by local artisans: jewelry, paintings, clothing, clocks, scarves, etc. All very beautiful and creative.

Well, I may be a shopaholic. I'm not quite ready to admit it yet because that would mean setting out on a road to recovery. I made a full trip around the market, practicing the words, "No, just browsing," before I sat down awaiting a moment of clarity while I chewed on a Thai spring roll. Finally, I made a list of the things I wanted to buy and made myself cross out half of them. Then, I ended up buying the others as well as half of the things I had crossed off. So, next time I should cross out three-fourths of my list, I suppose...

After Paddington, I walked shamefully and guilt-ridden back toward the hotel to drop off my purchases (out of sight, out of mind). Then, I walked through Chinatown and found a Chinese bakery where I bought some pastries--one of those sticky rice balls with custard inside and a red bean roll for breakfast on the plane the following morning. I made my way over to the Chinese Friendship Tea Garden. Walked around and regained my serenity for a bit until the mozzies started to bite cuz it was right around 5 p.m. Tried desperately to holistically appreciate the mosquitoes and the gardens for their innate worth. Breathe in, breathe out, and slap yourself silly cuz them are some bloody little buggers! Decided I'd leave both the mozzies and the gardens in their holistic peace, but find myself another little place to be. Walked over through some sort of Nepalese festival in the park. Thought I would buy myself some Nepalese momos for dinner. I think that's what they're called--they're steamed dumplings. Anyway, apparently all the Nepalese people had the same idea cuz that was the most popular booth. Guess I won't know what's inside the dumplings. I'll get back to you after my next big trip--Southeast Asia.

Finally ended up at Darling Harbour and Cockle Bay. Sat there and watched the sun go down. Then I headed over to a restaurant listed as mighty scrumptious by the Lonely Planet. It was on the other side of the Aquarium all the way around the bay. When I got there, I realized it wasn't a very fun place for a dinner party of one. No place to hide, really. Loud music, boisterous crowds... would be all right with a group of friends, but just wasn't feeling it. So, I jumped on my last ferry and went back to Circular Quay. Ended up at another LP restaurant called Bodha. It was absolutely delicious. Good, wholesome, vegan Chinese food. I had steamed dumplings (finally) and a spicy tofu dish. And green tea with real leaves in it. It was right by the park and next to St. Mary's, so I still had a fairly decent backdrop.

And, that, my friends and family members, concludes my whirlwind tour of the South Island, New Zealand, and Sydney, Australia. Now, I have 500 photos to go through and a full day of teaching tomorrow. Entonces, muy buenas noches...

Love,
Sara

2 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home