Friday, April 14, 2006

Adrenaline Junkie

Well, I made it! I only have 19 minutes to blog and publish so here goes. Today is my first day in Queenstown, the adventure capital of the world. The view during the last bit of the flight exceeds my ability to describe. The South Island is as amazing as everyone has said, and I've barely seen any of it. Queenstown reminds me of Switzerland a bit. Today is grey and a little foggy, but still really nice. I walked around town for awhile, ate a big fat lunch, and bought some goodies for my 3-day trek into the wilderness. (Now I know Mom is gonna be losing sleep for the next three days until I get back and online--but don't worry!!! I'm eating my Wheaties.... lol.)

I picked up my hut passes at the Deptartment of Conservation. The huts have heating and cooking facilities, but no pots/pans and the water is untreated. Well, I have my little camping pot but I need to go buy some iodine tablets unless I want to carry HEAPS of water in with me, which I may do, anyway. I also bought a children's book on native NZ birds, since I just finished teaching that unit.

I went window shopping--well, almost. Everything I see I want to buy for Miss Emily, my darling little spunky little niece. BUT, I have to c arry everything I buy on my back for the next two weeks so I'm trying to hold out. I did break down and bought a Aotearoa (that's Maori for NZ) New Zealand Harley Davidson shirt with the HD logo on top of a Maori design. Sweet as. Oh yea, and that's for me. I don't think my sister and brother-in-law are quite ready for Em to become a biker chick (I have a feeling she'll be a handful without my influence...)

I also went to the "i" center to look into other activities for my time here in QT. I am thinking I will do the Awesome Foursome. It is a package of 4 adventure activities in one day: bungee jumping, jet boating, river rafting, and a helicopter ride--an ALL DAY adrenaline rush. The idea is actually quite scary to me, but I figure, hell, I'm in the adventure capital of the world...probably for the once and only time in my life, ya know? So WHATEVER... carpe diem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll let you know if I wimp out at the last minute. I wouldn't be going until Wednesday or Thursday, so you'll hear from me before then.

I am staying at the Pinewood Lodge. It's nice, but dumpy. I don't know how it can be those 2 things at once, but it is. I can't do shared dorm rooms. I'm too old for all that, so I have booked singles for all of my stays, although the kitchen and bathroom facilties are shared. My room is like a closet with 2 beds in it and, although I know it's not true, I felt like no one had either redecorated or step foot in it since the 70s.

I'm having fun on my little solo adventure. I bought The Economist and an O magazine at the airport today, just in case I start to get too wrapped up in my own little world of Sara. Some reading material to keep me somewhat socially connected to the outside world.

On a similar note, I am starting to worry that I am becoming more and more fiercely independent since I've been doing things largely on my own (not without the help of others, mind you)... but I'm going to be so set in MY ways of doing things... it's gonna take quite the man to tame this wild mustang. Hahahaha..... He'll have to outrun me first, I guess.

1 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sara,

Your trip sounds awesome. I really wish I were there to join you. sounds like exactly what I need. Stay safe and have fun!!! I will be thinking of you!
Barbara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home