Tuesday, April 25, 2006

No Worries Down Under

I made it to Sydney! What a spectacular city (I'm running out of creative adjectives for beautiful on this trip). I arrived Saturday night and was recruited by the driver an airport shuttle, which worked out to be much cheaper than taking a cab. Arrived at Steve's apartment 'round 9 p.m. (He's a friend of my friend, Jeanette, who lives two hours south of Sydney). Chatted with him for awhile and then just PASSED OUT. He's been very nice and given me his bedroom while he sleeps in what resembles a closet of a room on an air mattress. The gesture is greatly appreciated b/c I haven't slept on a comfortable bed in quite awhile. Needless to say I've been sleeping like a baby these past coupla nights...

Sunday morning I got up early and Steve showed me the public transport ropes, so I bought a 7-day bus/ferry/train pass and headed down to Town Hall, where I walked through the Victoria building where there are tons of beautiful (there I go again) stores and shoppes. Fortunately for me, most of them were closed, so I just did a bit of window shopping. Then, I walked down to The Rocks, another shopping area. I did less window shopping here and more real shopping. Found the cutest little puppet workshop and bought a marionnette for my niece, Emily, and an Australian animals mobile for my other baby niece, Melanie. I also bought a couple of small surprises for my beloved dog sitters, Katie and Dee (my sister and her partner--my other sister).

Jeanette and her nine-month-old twins were actually in town for a couple of days to hang out with me, so I met them after my shopping spree on Sunday for lunch at the Sydney Opera House. I had crusted kingfish with ginger and bok choy, which she shouted me (that's kiwi/ozzie for "her treat"). It was muy rico. We walked around for awhile, 'round the Harbor and through the Botanical Gardens, and then headed back to Darlinghurst (the neighborhood in which I'm staying) for a coffee. Then she dropped me off at Steve's but I didn't yet have a key, so I walked down to Sulley Hills down Oxford St and (oops--more shopping) bought myself a t-shirt that says :"I make stuff up." It just cracked me up when I saw it so I had to get it for a laugh. Anyway, if you ask my friends it's actually true cuz I have this habit of pretending to know things when people ask me questions and I may or may not really know the answer (it just happens, completely unintentional!). My friend Katie always calls me on it. At least now I've got a shirt to warn people...

After that, I just walked back to the apt and by that time Steve was home. He went out with some friends and I just read for awhile and then CRASHED out on my cozy bed.

Today, I got up relatively early--thought I'd go for a run, but talked myself out of it. Then, I headed out to check out Paddington, another nearby neighborhood with lots of cool clothing stores. Walked the other way down Oxford St. and didn't get too far before I found a store called Sports Girl. Tried on clothes there for about an hour and then put some things on hold while I went to another store called Mambo (Jeanette had already given me a tank that says Mambo Goddess when she left Mexico--everyone always asks me about it). I didn't find any bargains at Mambo, so I started to walk on down the street when I spotted a store called Rodeo Show and a little sign that said, "CLEARANCE." Well, I went in there and talked myself out of (tragedy) most of the things I tried on except for three lovely pieces--a lightweight brown jacket, a teal peacoat, and a black knit sweater (all for about $70 US--and they are NICE clothes!!!) Then I went back and picked up the two things I'd left at Sports Girl--a pair of tan jeans and another jacket. All in all I am quite impressed with my self control, although I don't know how I'm going to get all these things back to Auckland, much less back to the States.

Then I met Jeanette, Hazel, and Leo (the twins) and we drove out to Watson's Bay and had a picnic of fish and chips that we got from Doyle's. Got some fabulous shots of the bay and across it, the Sydney Harbo(u)r Bridge. Also walked up to a point called The Gap and took more photos. A bizarre little extra tidbit: Apparently this is a common place for people to commit suicide. So, a common expression in Sydney is, "Oh, why don't you just go jump off the Gap..." Well, I told you it was bizarre. After that, we went to Bondi Beach and walked around and had some coffee. Got to check out some surfers, although the beach was pretty bare cuz it was quite windy today. Anyway, we didn't stay long cuz it was time to get the kids home. Jeanette is such a cute little mommy!

Got back to the apt and then changed for boxing. Found a boxing gym online and jumped on a bus--was really easy! I got a week pass for $20 cuz, you see, I am new to Sydney and shopping around for boxing gyms.. (wink wink). Worked out for about an hour and a half and I AM SO out of fit (out of shape in American)!!!! I mean, I have been really active these past several days but boxing is different. Different muscles, and muscles that don't generally have a lot of endurance, so here I go again, working my way back up to the proper fitness level.
Well, I'm gonna go home and have some tea and toast for dinner, so I'll be back to update you in a couple of days.

Love you and miss you all,
Sara

1 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sara,

sounds like you are really finding your way around. Take notes so I can do the same when I make my way over there. I can't wait for you to get home and I can visit. Just a short drive away. I have been thinking about that road trip you proposed for the end of summer to CA. I might be up for it. School starts on 8/14 and I have to be there 8/7 so we will see. If you see Jeanette again try to get some pics - Say hi to her also.
Barbara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home