Thursday, April 27, 2006

Forrest Gump and the Blue Mountains

TODAY (Thursday):

If you haven't yet read the previous post, you may not get the Forrest Gump reference. Today, I decided to make a wilderness trip into the bush, up in the Blue Mountains, which is about a two-hour train ride from Central Station in Sydney. Woke up early enough to catch the 7:25 a.m. train, then decided before I left my hotel, "Oh look! I'm early!" I don't know how I figured that since I don't have a watch, but I decided to scarf down some of the free breakfast (more toast) and lukewarm coffee before I left. Suddenly, I got the feeling that I might be running late since breakfast started at 7, so I made a sandwich out of my two remaining pieces of PB toast and took off running (not kidding) for the train station. I ran like the wind--choppy wind, mind you, cuz it's not easy to run in big ol' hikin' boots. I got to the station right at 7:25 a.m., but still had to buy a ticket. By the time I got my ticket and figured out where I needed to be, my train had left. The next one was not due to leave until 55 minutes later. !!!!@&@# is what I said to myself. I gave myself a big talking to for being so silly about trying to get a free breakfast and then went and ordered a proper coffee from the railway deli--with an extra shot of espresso. I sat there and wrote in my journal for over half an hour or so. Then, I decided to go to the restroom. After all that, I found myself nearly late for the next train so I ran to the platform to catch it. Yes, I made it.

Got to Katoomba around 10:30. Katoomba is just outside The Blue Mountains World Heritage Site. I walked all the way down the main drag (no way was I going to pay $15 for the double decker bus) and then all the way to the trail heads after getting some info from the YHA. The views from the visitor's center at the trail heads are unbelievable. Then, it was time for some bushwalking: I did the Three Sisters Walk, The Great Stairs, part of the Dardanelles Pass and the Federal Pass straight up to the Scenic Railway. That whole walk was supposed to take 3 hours and it took me about 1.5 (it's the Forrest Gump syndrome--I'm stuck in running mode). Well, then I began to feel a little overly confident and, even though I'd ruled against it before due to time constraints, decided that just maybe I should do the 12 km return walk labeled "HARD" to the Ruined Castle. This is the name of a rock formation in the middle of the Blue Mountains Park from which you can get spectacular views. I sat there teetering on indecision for a bit (but no walking in circles this time) and then finally decided to go for it.

When I started the bush walk around the Scenic Railway area, there were several people around. As I continued there were fewer and fewer and fewer until the only people I saw were coming toward me after having completed the trek. Apparently I was getting a bit of a late start. It was around 1 pm, and most people had started the walk really early as to avoid getting stuck out there after dark. (Close your eyes for a minute, Mom:) I thought maybe I should have told someone where I was going. Or at least I should have brought my headlamp, maybe even an antivenom kit? Well, I didn't. I was just really careful about where I stepped and decided, again, to Forrest Gump it pretty much all the way to the Ruined Castle (yeah, I know--those two things sound mutually exclusive, but they're not--trust me). By that time, I'd caught up with another couple of people hiking that way. I made it to the top of the Castle rock formation and it was SOOOOO worth it. A little bit of a scary climb at the very tippy top, but not bad and the views, yes, the views were spectacular. Panoramic views of the entire plateau and basin, the entire ridge line and the Three Sisters rock formation.... I was a happy hiker. Unfortunately, I pretty much limped my way back down the whole trail b/c hiking shoes are not good running shoes and my heels are completely buggered. Sore. I think I have what my friend Emily calls "heel spurs." Whatever it is, it hurts.

The good news is that although I had no idea of the time (was trying to work it out based on my shadow but not getting anywhere with that strategy), I made it to the end of the trail just in time to catch the last rail car UUUUUUUUP the mountain (the steepest track in the world), and the LAST bus back to town. I actually got off the bus in Leura, a quaint little mountain town, and ate dinner at a little rundown but cute cafe. I had a salmon and leek tart. Then I ordered a slice of Baked Ricotta Torte for takeaway (to go) which I ate on the train home. And, now I'm at the Internet cafe right near Central Station. And I'm completely stuffed--as in "tired," as my flatmate, Aidan, would say. Time to go to my fancy hotel.

Love,
Me

2 Comments:

At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I have noticed in your pictures that you are trying to hide the fact that you are blond but I gotta tell ya - actions speak louder than fake hair color. Barbara

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, it's good we don't see these posts until after the fact. Of course, if there isn't a post, we're going to start having images of you sprawling at the bottom of a ravine. BTW, buy a watch!

Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home