Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Manly Scenic Walk and the Taronga Zoo

Omigod. Look, I'm just halfway through my Sydney visit and I swear, I am EXHAUSTED. I think it's more exhausting traveling by oneself. More time to think about how tired you are, less idle chatter with a companion to keep your mind off of it, I guess. I think I'm ready to be back home in Auckland, but yet I still have so much to see!

I actually checked into the YWCA Hotel today b/c I was a little worried about overstaying my welcome with Jeanette's friend, Steve. He seemed to be under the impression that I was going to go visit Jeanette at her place for a coupla days and when I told him, no, I was just going to the zoo today, he looked a little confused. In the end, I have stayed four nights in his bed while he sleeps on an air mattress, so I just made the executive (ha--as if there could be anyone else involved in my current decision-making) decision to check myself into a little hostel type place. I am staying in a shared dorm, but only four beds and so far just one other girl has checked in. The beds are firm, at least--not all bumpy and weird like the last few places I've stayed in (except for Steve's), so hopefully my back won't suffer any more than it already has. Now, when I left Steve's and told him I was going to a hotel, he still looked confused and then I started to feel bad that I'd offended him. But, I was feeling bad about overstaying my welcome and now I feel bad that maybe I should have stayed, but, you see, I must always feel bad about something. You would think I was brought up Catholic. Nope. Just a guilt-ridden worrier. Now that I do blame on my parents but not b/c of upbringing. More to do with genetics. Oh, I'm rambling. Back to Sydney:

Yesterday I spent the ENTIRE day in Manly, which is a little coastal area across the bay. I took the ferry from Circular Quay, which was a half-hour ride. I wanted so badly to stand on the bow and pull a "Titanic" pose but they wouldn't let me. I got the next best thing which was to stand in the upper front area (I forget what they call that part of the ship. Damn! I'm not a pirate after all). Took loads of pics. Then, I walked down the main drag which was blocked off to cars for Anzac day, so it was pretty much a pedestrian mall. Made it down to the beach and pondered for quite while about whether or not I would go for a surf. Finally decided against it cuz I didn't want to be wet and gross for my four-hour walk on the Manly Scenic Trail. Headed out toward the scenic trail when I was attacked by a shoe store right at the end of the main drag. I swear, some shoe store monster just pulled me right in and made me by the most chidisisimo pair of boots I've ever seen. Problem was I was getting ready to go on a LONG hike, but found a way to stuff them in my backpack and headed out on the trail. No, Dad, I don't know what I'm going to leave in order to make room for all this stuff but I'm starting to think it will be my brain b/c I'm losing more and more of it each day. Is it the fatigue or overstimulation? Or too much alone time???? Well, whatever....

So I went and walked all along the Manly coastline. It's like a scenic walk on the edge of the city. Goes through small cliffs, coves, fishing wharfs, beaches. It's a really cute walk. Reminded me a lot of northern California. I actually completed the walk in a little less than three hours. I was really bookin' it. I'm starting to get the "Oh no! There's too much to see and not enough time!" bug which is making me anxious but quite speedy, actually. I'm like the little Tasmanian Devil I saw at the zoo today. He wouldn't even stop running long enough for a picture. I had to video him. Reminded me of Dante when he was a wee pup.

Well, after my Manly walk it started to rain, but I made it to the end. Then I caught I bus back the the wharf where I decided to sit my butt down and eat a decent fish meal, so I had some perch. Then, I walked around for another two hours along the beach and down all the side streets, killing time before I went to see The World's Fastest Indian.

Uh-oh. To be continued. My time is running out and I've gotta go get my laundry!

More later,
Sara

2 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to find someone to talk to !!!! Just kidding. Everything sounds exciting and adventursome. By the way, how much longer will you be in Auckland? When will you return to the states? ps. found a job in Indonesia(Java), Costa Rica, and Colombia. I am getting the bug to teach abroad again. Might add a few to the list, we will see. Keep the posts coming. I am living vicariously thru u. Good luck on bringing everythin home!! Barbara

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Sara said...

i know, i know. i'm lonely, dude! really... girrrlll, you found a job in Indonesia? wow! can't wait til i'm reading 'bout your travels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home