Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Baby Ate My Dingo!!!!

Wait, no, that's not quite how it goes, is it? In any case, I have neither a baby nor a dingo, so just in case you were worried, it was all a big rumour (yeah, I know, I put a "u" in there--when in Rome...). Um, where did I leave off last night? With clean clothes :). LOL. Yeah, okay, Barbara. You're right. I need to find someone to talk to. I'm getting way too slapstick silly just hanging out with myself for so long.

Whoa. Anyway, so after I saw the Fastest Indian movie (was half-price night! :)), I took the ferry back to Steve's place (well, to Circular Quay, and then from there I took the bus. Unfortunately the captain couldn't be bribed into door-to-door ferry service). By that time it was really really late (like--gasp!--10:30) and I still had to take a shower and eat some toast so I didn't get to bed until (GASP!!!) midnight. A bit about the movie: Good stuff. Anthony Hopkins rides the world's fastest Indian, which, by the way, is a motorcycle. And we all know how I like motorcycles. And fast things. So there you go. Not only that, the main character played by Hopkins is a kiwi, so the story takes place in New Zealand and the States. I forgot to mention one very important occurrence. Just before the movie I bought some Gelatto which is some of the best Gelatto I've ever had. Yum.

The next day, I got up and took it easy, had 2 cups of (horror!) instant coffee and some toast. Toast for breakfast, toast for dinner, but toast will never make me thinner. LOL!!!!!!!!!! Oh, gawd, I am killing myself here. I'm the funniest person I know. Back to the travelogue, I was out the door by 'round 10 am and decided to walk down to Circular Quay where I just missed the ferry to Taronga Zoo. So, I wandered around in circles trying to figure out what to do with myself for about 20 minutes. Then I saw some Aboriginal musicians playing digeridoos. It was awesome, enchanting, and so I decided to buy the CD, but didn't have the proper change so I walked around in some more circles looking for change. Finally bought some water and got change. Then I walked back in a few more circles and went back to the musicians just as they were packing up and realized I was about to miss the ferry!!! I shoved the money in their loincloths, I mean, pockets, grabbed a CD, and ran off to catch my ferry. This was now becoming a theme for me: having PLENTY of time to get somewhere and then deciding to waste some of it until I really need to be at that somewhere, and then finding myself busting a move to get there on time. Anyway, I JUST made the ferry.

Taronga Zoo:
So unimpressed. Sorry. I did not like this zoo. I found it depressing and I found myself resisting the strong inclination to liberate all of the animals. First of all, you take a sky lift to the top of the zoo and walk down. Well, they put me in one with a mom and a stinky kid. Maybe the nappies should have been changed BEFORE the sky lift. Then, at the zoo, many of the enclosures were not clean or attractive. I took a pic of the poor spider monkey exhibit just to show you all how bad it looked. I mean, not as bad as some travelling zoos or anything, but I'd heard really good things about this zoo. It did not meet the high expectations that I'd had. Oh yeah, and there were some Italians throwing bacon at the spider monkeys. They thought it was hilarious watching the monkeys catch the bacon. Dude, spider monkeys eat fruit, not pork. It was depressing seeing these animals scrambling for bacon (no pun intended) in an ugly concrete area since I'd become used to seeing them swinging freely through the chicozapote trees in Guatemala (often throwing things at me).

On a good note, I did succumb to a couple of the attractions (yes, I'm a hypocrite) and got my photo taken with a koala. OHHHHHHHHH, sooooo cute! Well, at least I didn't throw bacon at it, 'kay? Also, got to see a Komodo Dragon slip on a rock (I think he was a little embarrassed), a Tasmanian Devil, dingos, a duckpilled platypus, ghost bats, wallabys, and lots of other cool Australian animals. I skipped the Asia and Africa exhibits 'cuz I just couldn't be bothered. And, I was afraid I might try to ride one of the elephants to its freedom.

After I returned from the zoo, I got a sandwich and made myself sit down for a minute and eat it on a bench in Circular Quay by the harbour. Then suddenly it began to rain. Well, I hadn't figured out what to do with myself yet so I began to do this walking in circles thing again. I did that for about half an hour til finally I decided to buy myself a Ferrero Rocher flavoured gelatto. YUMMMY! Then, it began to rain harder so I started to walk back to the apartment. Duh. Why I didn't just catch a bus at Circular Quay, I don't know. Suddenly, it became more apparent to me that I was walking in the rain, and I looked up and realized that I was right next to my bus, the 389, which was stopped at a light. Unfortunately, it was not stopped at a bus stop. Then, the light began to change, so I raced the bus to the next stop and just made it. I'm like friggin' Forrest Gump these days. I seem to run everywhere.

I got back to the apartment and that's when I began to pack my things and move to my hotel in Hyde Park. Oh, that sounds really posh. No, it's a shared dorm in the Y Hotel. I moved my stuff, dumped it, changed clothes, and went to the boxing gym for a couple of hours. That was my Wednesday. Let's see. I don't know if I yet have the energy to write about today. I think I'll publish this one first as it's becoming quite the lengthy post.

Ciao (how do you say, "don't throw bacon at the monkeys" in Italian?),

Sara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home