Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Mission Impossible 4

I think I've found my new calling as a stunt double... OOOOOOhhh, where do I start here?

3-Day Backpacking Trip:
Yes, well last night I came back from three days on the Routeburn Track, which apparently was rated as one of the top 12 best walks in the world by National Geographic. It was stunning, although pretty wet the first and second days. Fortunately and unfortunately, I had bought a rain suit a few weeks before I left. However, in my attempt to be frugal I got one that is absolutely impermeable and so although I was kept dry from the rain, I was drenched in sweat by the time I arrived to my hut on the first night. Yuck. Two more full days of hiking and nooooo showers. Guess it was good that I was hiking alone.

In fact, though, one does not really hike alone on any of the Great Walks in New Zealand. There were many stretches when I was completely alone, but it's pretty common to pass or be passed by other merry trampers. The first day of hiking I took a four-hour detour on a side trail with another guy from California. Good thing he was leading cuz my sense of direction is nil. Guess that goes hand-in-hand with my general lack of attention to detail. Well, I prefer to say that it's "deep thinking" that keeps me from noticing my surroundings. (I'm an idea person, 'kay? 100% intuitive and 0% sensing.... What can I say? I'm my dad's daughter.) Anyway, it was gorgeous. We hiked through mossy forests and then grassy plains that were made of "mole hill" type things. Quite a challenging walk. The views from all parts of the track were phenomenal, each one different from the next. Hiked through mountains and valleys and waterfall after waterfall after waterfall. I can't begin to explain it. As soon as I can I will try to put some pics up, but more likely you'll just have to wait for the slide show when I return.

The Routeburn Track winds through both Mt. Aspiring National Park and Fiordlands National Park. Much of The Lord of the Rings was filmed around this track. Now, when I get back I'll have to watch the movies and maybe I won't fall asleep this time (Gasp! Blaspheme!). I spent two nights in huts: one at Routeburn Falls and the next at Lake MacKenzie. They were both quite nice although I'm so glad to be back in a room of my own here in Queenstown. They were packed--50 people in each. I was so worried about someone snoring when as it turns out I was the dreaded snorer. Well, I'm not sure of it, but I have this sneaking feeling it was me. Of course, however, my snoring is daintly and lady-like just like me (rolling laughter).

Anyway, the hiking was just out of this world, and I'm so proud of myself for doing a backpacking trip into the wilderness on me' own. Pretty cool. BUT NOT AS BADASS AS THIS!!!!!!::::

AJ Hackett Nevis High Wire Bungy Jump:
Today I DID IT!!!! I am absolutely off my rocker. I am more insane than I ever thought. Today I JUMPED OFF of a 134 metre (that's over 400 feet) platform suspended on wires over the middle of a canyon. I just jumped, man. I just jumped. I jumped before they could count to 3, that's how ready I was (cuz you don't really want to be standing on that platform anymore). And then afterwards I kept asking random fellow bungy jumpers if they could believe that I just did that. Can you believe I just did that? Cuz I can't. It's the second highest bungy jump in the world, and the only one that is suspended. And, I've got the photos and the DVD so you can check it out. Then you can believe I just did that. First you jump, then you bounce. Then you bounce again. Then you have to reach up and pull a cord attached to your ankle which turns you right side up again so that you can be "reeled in" in a sitting position as opposed to upside down. I did it. I pulled the cord. I am that coordinated. So you see, I am looking into a career as a stunt double. In my next life.

More later. My friend Sarah is waiting for me. (Ran into her--by chance!!!--at the Nevis Bungy! Crazy.)

Love,
Sara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home