Friday, February 10, 2006

First Days of School

This week has been quite a long one. It is so unbelievably strange to me that I have only been here for two weeks. Can that be possible?

Week 1 at my school has been, overall, a great learning experience. Here are a few key things to remember if you are a student at KI in Auckland:
  • "Source" and "sauce" are difficult to spell because they are pronounced exactly the same way.
  • Don't ask your American teacher too many questions during the first week because she has difficulty understanding you. (i.e. "Is there another word for jewelry?" means "Is there another word for during?" "Can I get some water?" means "Can I start on the bottom (of the page)?"
  • Also, don't ask your American teacher for help completing the crossword because she has probably never heard the expressions: "fizzy drink" (a soda), "ice block" (an ice cream), "paddock" (a field for sheep), and nor would she know that cricket is a summertime sport or that rugby is a sport that you can play all year round. She would probably also have no idea that "lolly folly" is a clue for chewing gum...
  • Shoes are, apparently, optional during the first week.
  • Bring a pencil for "Maths." (Yes, it is "maths.")
  • Don't put your hand over your heart during the national anthem like the fanatical Americans do (Yes, this is exactly how it was explained to the students!)
This school is in an area that has a reputation for being a "rough" one. However, I don't find that to really be the case. But, because it is what we would call a diverse, urban school, the way things are run are actually very similar to the way they were run at AT Junior High in the Bronx. Discipline is very strict. All of the students wear uniforms (this was not the case in the Bronx--although it might be now--but I wish it had been!). I actually kind of like the jerseys and the fleeces and will probably buy one of each for myself! The only weird thing is that the students are allowed to wear sandals, but they aren't allowed to wear socks with their sandals. I mean, I have to admit that socks with sandals is a bit unfashionable (though I've been known to do it, anyway), but fashion regulated by school policy is pretty interesting...

What else? This week was the very first week of the new school year, since school here starts in February and ends in December (with breaks in between, obviously). That was good because I got to be a part of class rule-making, etc., and seeing how teachers set the standard for the rest of the year. I really like my supervising teacher. I'll call her Ms. A for the sake of the blog (since it is public and I'm talking about a school, etc.). She is of Indian descent, studied in Canada, and taught in a very poor Muslim school in Africa (she was the only female teacher--brave!). So she is pretty wordly. Anyway, she has done an excellent job of welcoming her new students here at KI with a tone that is firm, yet reasonable and understanding. She is strict, but she explains all of the school rules carefully so that the students understand the reasons behind each of them. The kids come up from their desks and sit on the floor in the front of the room for many of our class discussions. Ms. A led them in a very detailed discussion of "put-downs" and why we don't use them in the classroom.

Although it is difficult for me at times to not be in the "driver's seat" while in a classroom, I have already had several opportunities to teach. I taught a lessons on the heart, long division, order of operations, and goal-setting. Okay, the order of operations lessons was a review for manyof the students. BUT--interesting fact: here they use the acronym BEDMAS instead of PEMDAS. Why? Because parentheses are not parentheses here--they are called brackets. HA! But they don't have a cute little saying like "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" so I am going to have to help them make one up for BEDMAS. Ideas, anyone?

Long division was interesting because I've never taught that before--haven't really taught much "maths" at all. Plus, I was assigned to teach the lesson about an hour beforehand--which is fine. I didn't mind that part. Actually, the whole school--teachers and students--receives a workbook that they use for the first two weeks. Students don't begin to change classes until after the first two weeks, and that way teachers don't really have to worry about lesson planning, either. This gives teachers time to really establish the rules and procedures that will ensure a good, productive year. That is absolutely awesome--you don't have to worry about making copies, etc., either, because you already have the workbook. The workbook is half "maths" and half reading/writing activities--but many of those are based on science and social studies concepts.

What else? Enough about school. It's the weekend. Time to NOT think about school. Okay, I joined a boxing gym--finally! Started on Wednesday, and they train MWF, so I went last night as well. Was good stuff. THere is another girl there who has already had a few fights. She seems quiet and nice. She's an awesome boxer. I will finally have a good sparring partner! The trainer told me he wouldn't start me sparring immediately--give me a couple of weeks to get back in shape (or "back in fit" as they say here). Even then, he says that she won't get in there and try to pummel me, like some might, but that we can both learn from each other. Then, he watched me hit the bag for a little while, gave me a few tips, and said I was a "little terror." Cool. Was nice to get the affirmation that it's not just my coach in Athens who thinks I'm a decent boxer.

Today am going shopping with Bridgette, my flatmate, and Sarah, my American friend, (why are there sooooooooo many Sara(h)s in this world?), and then we are going out to celebrate one of Bridgette's friends birthdays.

Miss you all. Give my monster a BIG hug for me, Katie.

Love,
Sara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home