Monday, May 15, 2006

Coming to the End

Well, it's been two weeks since my last confession--I mean, post. I've gotten to know 2 new classes of students this cycle. This week is my last one. Of course, I have mixed feelings about leaving. I'm looking forward to getting back to my family, my friends, my dog, my motorcycle, and taking the next step in my life, but I am also going to miss my life here. I've gotten pretty well-established in the last 4 months. Of course, by now I should be used to this constant coming and going, moving around. Saying goodbye is definitely a more familiar "phenomenon" to me--the ache of impending nostalgia and the lump in my throat that I'm so good at swallowing away are really just facets of my lifestyle, I guess.

But, as I come to the conclusion of this most wonderful chapter in my travels, I will miss...
  • my kiwi family, Aidan and Bridgey
  • "my" cat, Snowball--okay, not really ;)
  • my crazy students
  • Coach Grant and my boxing team
  • Camping in huts
  • Maori and Polynesian culture and people
  • "morning tea" and "afternoon tea"
  • "I can't be bothered"
  • "Good on ya"
  • It's so "flash" (as in really nice, stylish, or expensive)
  • "proper"
  • "rubbish"
  • "mate"
  • "Aye" (the kiwi version of the Canadian "eh")
  • Ginger Nuts (a type of "biscuit" aka cookie)
  • Ginger Beer
  • Fush n chippies (fish n chips)
  • Wedges (big steak fries with sour cream and soft cheese on top)
  • V (my new favorite energy drink)
  • The Woman's Day (chock full of all the latest really horrible Hollywood gos')
  • WheatBix cereal with (fake) berries
  • Driving on the left side of the road (It's actually quite fun!)

I will not miss:
  • Having to repeat myself frequently
  • Shortland Street (the NZ daily soap opera)
  • the rain
  • the high prices!
  • sushi that isn't sushi (b/c the meat inside it is cooked!)
  • car troubles
  • turning into the wrong lane (b/c of driving on the left side of the road)
Yeah well here comes the lump again.

More later,
Sara

1 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara, I hope you have a wonderful last week of teaching!! I know all too well the hurt of goodbye but the vision of going "home". It sounds like you have had an amazing time. Can't wait to talk to you when you are home.
Barbara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home