Sunday, January 29, 2006

Chilis and capsicums

I am slowly learning the language of the Kiwis. Last night I went out to eat down at the shore with Aidan and Bridge and three of their friends. Great little Indian/pizza restaurant right down on the boardwalk. Apparently, the capsicums on the menu that I thought were mushrooms are not--they are, in fact, green peppers. We had a really fun time--A & B and their friends are nice and hilarious. Then we let off fireworks on the beach in celebration of Auckland Day, which is today--a national holiday although no one seems to know why... :)

Also went out and bought groceries yesterday. Needless to say, my flatmates seem to think I'm somewhat health-crazed. Bridgette, however, wants to try out the boxing gym with me!

Today we got up and went to downtown Auckland for a bit. Then, we went to Piha, which is a beautiful beach area just outside of Auckland, although technically still part of Greater Auckland. Was about an hour's drive. They are volcanic, black sand beaches, and I'm going to try to upload some photos so you can see them. Am taking some breathtaking photos and I've only been here two days! We went for a swim in the ocean--bloody cold!--and then we got back in the cars and drove around to a shady, grassy area for a "barbie." We had barbecued chicken sausages and sizzlers (sausages with cheese in the middle). Oh, and a chili is the Kiwi term for cooler.

We also drove by my school, Kedgley Intermediate, this morning. Still closed for the summer break--plus, today is a national holiday. I'm hoping the teachers will be back by the end of this week so I can meet them and get situated before the students come back next week. The school is not too far from here, but by bus it would take some time. Am still looking for a used car, although Aidan is a mechanic, which is obviously a plus. He's going to help me look for a car and has also pretty much guaranteed that he will buy it back from me at the same price, since he can then fix it up and probably make money off of it. Fine by me!

Thanks so much for all the emails! I've read them all and promise to write back when I can. I've got to go get some reading done for an assignment that is due tomorrow--although technically I have the benefit of being a half day ahead of you all. By the way, I think the difference is 19 hours--not 18 like I had thought--so it is 7 p.m. here and 2 a.m. there (but, again--yesterday!).

Love,
Sara

1 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Oh, I'm still trying to figure out this whole time thing. Okay, the difference is 17 hours, right? Whatever...I think I'm finally over the jet lag, but my brain is not working quite properly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home