Saturday, January 28, 2006

Arrival in Auckland

Well, I made it. Arrived in Auckland yesterday. Beautiful airport--made it through customs quickly. The customs officer laughed at how different my passport photo looked from my actual appearance (especially since it's a brand new passport!)... I laughed and said, "Yeah, well, I get bored." "Don't we all?" She chuckled... Anyway, my flatmate, Bridgette, (yes, flatmate--I'm learning how to speak like the Kiwis) was there at the airport waiting for me. As we approached her car, I went to enter on the front right side. "Are you going to drive?" she laughed. Of course, we're in New Zealand! The passenger seat is on the left side... Anyway, she and I came back to the house and I met her husband, Aidan, my other flatmate. Both of them have strongly recommended that I buy a cheap car while I am here because Auckland is so spread out. The more I ride around with them, the more I think they are right. We are going to try to look for a cheap used car this week before I have to start school. May have to take out another loan, but what's one more...? Anyway, I'll save the money on bus fares, trains around the country on the weekends, I suppose, and I can sell the car back when I leave. I'll have to get used to driving on the other side. We looked at a car which had a manual transmission, but I realized that driving a manual will be doubly difficult since I'll have to learn to switch gears with my left hand. Think I'll stick to an automatic.

Yesterday, Aidan and Bridge took me for a ride around the countryside. SO beautiful. Very pastoral. Went to look at the used car and then out for chicken at Red Rooster. I was starved.

Auckland is like most big cities. It's pretty spread out, though, but quite developed. Today we went to a mall so I could buy a coffee press--I won't do instant this time (three years in Latin America was enough instant coffee for me). So, here in Auckland, there are malls, big buildings, etc., just like any city in the U.S. Apparently, though, this is the most diverse area. The countryside and the South Island are pretty much inhabited by European descendents. Here in Auckland, there is a vast array of different cultures. I like that. I can't wait to start teaching. Bridgette warned me that my students, who will be Maori and Pacifika, are probably going to be fairly large (as in big-boned) and somewhat unruly. "Oh," I said. "I taught in the Bronx for three years." Then she didn't think I would seem to have a problem. I can't wait to meet them.

Tomorrow is a national holiday so Aidan and Bridgette are off from work. Aidan is going to go surfing with a friend, so Bridgette and I are going to tag along and go for a swim in the ocean and lay out on the beach. Don't think my one surf lesson in Maui will be enough experience for me to brave the waves here just yet. Maybe before I leave...

Miss you all.

Love,
Sara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home